Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Not My Words Today

Back when I was in seminary, I remember one day when Dr. Floyd explained some things about biblical prophecy that cleared up some things for me and made a whole lot more sense than the Hal Lindsey school of prophecy that I'd previously bought into. (Yes, I was a teenage fan of The Late Great Planet Earth---so many shameful things in my past.) I raised my hand, feeling the world changing even as I did so. I said to Dr. Floyd, "I've been an active member of the church from the time I could walk. Sunday school, confirmation, Luther League, Lutheran Campus Ministry, continuous church attendance. Why is this the first time I'm hearing this?" I was a bit indignant and Dr. Floyd admitted he didn't know why this information didn't make it to the pews, but it had been taught for a very long time.

Yesterday, my friend Candace Chellew-Hodge wrote a piece for Religion Dispatches that addresses this similar phenomenon. So today, I offer a link to her words. I think they are pertinent to what I'm trying to get at throughout lent.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/blog/religionandtheology/1203/clergy_cowardice/

(Candace is the author of Bulletproof Faith, which I referenced a few days ago, and also the editor/founder of Whosoever, an online webzine for GLBT Christians.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, opposing as well as supportive. The hour is past for anonymity, however, and I as moderator will delete any post that does not have a verifiable name attached to it. Hold your convictions and hold them in the light. This goes for supportive and non-supportive comments.